Monday, March 22, 2010

My New Project ..... Gardening!

So I have a new project to obsess over ....... a vegetable garden.  I'm planning on using the Square Foot Gardening method.  My father-in-law gave me some scrap wood to build most of my boxes.  He even cut it to the size I needed!!!


I decided to use Heirloom seeds.  They aren't genetically altered and you can save the seeds and plant them the following year.  I just placed an order for seeds. A friend recommended Heirloom Acre Seeds.  Here is what I ordered:


Carrots - Tendersweet Carrot and Scarlet Nantes Carrot


Onions - Texas Grano 1015Y Onion and Yellow Sweet Spanish Onion


Cucumbers - Straight Eight Slicing Cucumber and National Pickling Cucumber


Squash - Golden Summer Crookneck Squash


Zucchini - Zucchini, Black


Lettuce - Salad Bowl Green Lettuce and Green Ice Leaf Lettuce


Tomatoes - Ace 55 Tomato and Grape Tomatoes


Okra - Clemson Spineless Okra


Jack-Be-Little Pumpkin - I thought these would be fun for the kids this fall


Cumin


Zinnia, Dahlia Series Mixture

----------------------------------------------------------



I still have to get everything else ..... a few more pieces of wood, herb plants (Basil and Parsley, maybe Cilantro), soil, weed cloth, some sort of cage to keep the rabbits out.


I really hope I'm not being too optimistic on this project.  I have a tendency to get excited about something and get in over my head.  I really want this to work ...... so we'll see!  I'll be sure to post before and after pics .... maybe even in progress pics, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment